Concept of a new feature for Lieferando that is offering the possibility to deliver food in a sustainable way, so no waste is produced.
Year 2020 brought many changes into our life. Many business models started to change into new forms. One of these is the food and service field. Restaurants and coffee places went online and food delivery services increased.
According to statista.com in Germany in 2021 revenue in the Online Food Delivery segment is projected to reach US$2,713m (+9,4% yoy) and users growth up to 20.8m (+7,5% yoy). It means more packages will be produced and as a result more waste.
During this project I had to analyze an already existing and highly adopted food delivery app and incorporate a new feature as a possibility of sustainable Tupperware delivery into the existing product.
Duration: 4 days
Objectives: Competitive analysis, ideation, user flow, wireframes, prototype
How might we help a person that orders online to choose delivery in a sustainable way.
By reshaping the same problem from our user perspective:
“When I’m ordering food online I want to have an option so I can choose to get sustainable delivery.”
As I had to create a completely new feature that is not existing in a market yet I started straight away with analyzing the structure of the Lieferando app.
User flow was very easy to trace. After logging in comes Home page where users can pick a restaurant, at restaurant page choosing menu, adding to basket, payment and confirmation of the order.
By examination of information architecture I found 3 possible implementation of a new feature in application structure:
- At Home page in Filter section by adding to show package type
2. At selected Restaurant page at information section
3. At Basket page as main point where the user is choosing package type
Mid fidelity prototype
In order to understand better how integration of a new feature might work and to test it with real users I created basic user flow in a mid fidelity prototype.
Test results were good. All users found new feature and sometimes used additional filters too.
After testing the mid fidelity prototype, in a process of creating a high fidelity prototype I took into consideration some feedback from users and small visual corrections were made. The goal was also to recreate the style of the app as accurately as possible and implement new information so that it matches the look and feel of the whole app.
In this project for me it was important to see the whole mechanism behind one app. How it works, which information is main and which one is secondary. It helps me to decide to integrate the feature not as a separate icon/button, but integrate it natively into app structure.
User flow helped to dive deeper and at the same time to stay focused without losing much time in finding solutions.
As a next step could be a deeper user research perhaps in a form of questionnaire or interviews just to understand how important this feature and in which form our user would like to see it.
And yes, pixel perfect design is time consuming even with help of components).